We had a great time at the Harvest Giveaway today, because we finally dried the popcorn just enough to make it a great snack! We offered a cooking demonstration on the spot, and here’s a recipe for how to pop
your own freshly dried popcorn:
- Pick the kernels off the cob. You should be able to just run your finger along the cob and they will fall right off.
- Put a pot with a lid on the stove and set to medium-high heat.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of canola oil into the pot, enough to evenly coat the bottom of the pot.
- Drop 3 kernels into the pot. Once one of them has popped, you know the oil is hot enough. Drop the rest of the kernels into the pot and shake the pot around to make sure the kernels are all coated in oil.
- Watch and listen to the pot and pick it up regularly to shake and swirl the contents of the pot around without lifting the lid. You want to make sure that none of the kernels get stuck on the bottom of the pot and burn.
- Once you hear the popping slow down to one every 1-2 seconds you know that the majority of the kernels have popped. Turn off the heat.
- Open up the pot and pour the popped corn into a bowl. Season with butter, salt and anything else that sounds good to you. Try making kettle corn by adding some sugar. Or add a little paprika for some kick. I like dried dill as a seasoning too.